- About Us
Ruth Kruse (nee Berend) went to her Father’s heavenly garden on June 7, 2018. She was born June 7, 1928 to Walter and Julia Berend of Little Berger, Missouri. She attended Peace Hill School & St. Joseph’s Church in Little Berger with her brother Willard. They learned to speak English when attending there.
During WWII, her brother went off to the war and her father to the Defense Plant in St. Louis. Ruth and her mother moved to an apartment on 1st Street in Hermann so they could work at the International Show Factory in town. They returned to the farm after the war.
Ruth met her future husband, Harold, while attending Saturday night dances. They were married on March 2, 1957 at St. Joseph’s Church.
They built a home on her parent’s farm. There, they had a large vegetable garden with numerous fruit trees and numerous livestock including chickens, goats, pigs and cattle. Ruth continued to work at the Shoe Factory until their oldest child, David, was born. A few years later, they welcomed Denise. Ruth cared for many of the neighborhood children over the next 40 years.
Ruth was very involved in St. George Church of Hermann. Her and Harold cleaned the church and school for over 30 years. Ruth was also an active member of the VFW Ladies Auxiliary.
After retirement, Ruth and Harold took numerous bus trips around the country. Ruth enjoyed working in their yard and garden and was an avid canner.
Ruth is preceded in death by Harold, her husband; David, her son; Willard & Elethia, her brother and sister-in-law; and parents, Walter and Julia Berend. Ruth is survived by Michael and Denise Witthaus of Hermann, her daughter and son-in-law; Katherine, Brad, Austin & Rebecca O’Neal of Holts Summit, her granddaughter and family; Julia, Chalen, and Theodore Jackson of Columbia, her granddaughter and family; and numerous nieces and nephews.
Visitation will be Sunday, June 10 from 2-6 PM at Toedtmann & Grosse Funreal Home, Hermann. The funeral mass will be Monday, June 11th at 2 PM at St. George Church. Memorials may be made to St. George Church.